At first we would like to say thank you for choosing Easy Custom Auto Excer WordPress plugin. In this documentation you will find everything you need to use ECAE. If you have any questions which are not covered in this documentation, please open a new thread on Support Forum. Our support team will glad to help you.
Easy Custom Auto Excerpt is wordpress plugin to cut/excerpt your post displayed on the home , search or archive pages. This plugin also enable you to customize the readmore button text and thumbnail image. By this plugin will give you more control on how to excerpt post content than the default WordPress excerpt.
Installing by WP plugin installer
- Navigate to Plugins > Add New page in your WordPress admin.
- Click on the “Upload Plugin” button on the top.
- Click on Choose File and choose “easy-custom-auto-excerpt.zip” file, then hit the Install Now button.
- After uploading you should see “plugin installed successfully” notification, and then hit the “Activate Plugin” button.
Installing using FTP
First, you need a tool for uploading plugin files to your site, you can use filemanager from cPanel or any FTP clients. Some good FTP clients :
- FileZilla for Linux/windows.
- Cyberduck for Mac.
- Extract the zip file which you’ve downloaded from WordPress.org.
- Open extracted folder and extract “easy-custom-auto-excerpt.zip” file, after extract you should see “easy-custom-auto-excerpt” folder.
- Connect to you server by FTP application then navigate to
- Upload the “easy-custom-auto-excerpt” folder which extracted.
- Login to your WordPress admin area and navigate to the Plugins page, then click the Activate below Easy Custom Auto Excerpt.
There are 5 excerpt method:
- Paragraph method will cut per paragraph.
- Character method will cut per word.
- Show first paragraph will cut the first paragraph
- Show 1st-2nd paragraph will cut the first to second paragraph
- Show 1st-3rd paragraph will cut the first to third paragraph
Number of character preserved. Just type any number.
If you select ‘yes’ any shortcode will be eliminated from the excerpt. It will ignore all of your shortcode inside post content.
Strip empty HTML tags
If you select ‘yes’ any empty HTML tags will be eliminated from the excerpt
Disable on RSS Feed
Disable any excerpt on RSS feed. Click here to view your RSS page.
Use this method only if there are any problem with the excerpt
The plugin will align the excerpt text. Available in 5 align; no, left, center, right, and center. For aligning read more button you can go to Read More Button–>Read more align.
ECAE magically can show image at your excerpt. Just select what and how many images will be shown. The options available are:
show all image, it will show all images inside your content. It depends on excerpt method and excerpt size.
show only first image, it will grab the first image shown inside your content
use featured image, it will show featured image as part of your excerpt. Useful if your theme doesn’t support for showing thumbnail.
Display Image Options (PRO Version Only)
Display image options will give you total control on how your image will look. The available options are:
- Image position, you can place your image at left, right, center, float left, and float right.
- Image width, you can set your image width both with auto or custom width.
- Image margin, you can set your margin from top, right, bottom, and left. Just fill with any desired number.
- Image thumbnail size, It will strip down available thumbnail sizes are serving by your active theme. It is only work for Content Image: Use Featured Image.
Basic settings let you determine where page your ECAE excerpt will show. You can control where your ECAE will be activated and de-activated. It covers from blog page, front page, archive, search and individual post page.
For example, if you want to display ECAE excerpt at all archive page but you want to de-activate it at the search result page. So you can just select “no” at the search excerpt options and then ECAE will be de-activated at search result page. In other words the search result page will show full content.
Advanced settings let you determine how ECAE excerpt in a more detail and more specific page. It has content options those are post types and categories. So you can choose what post type or what category will show ECAE excerpt. Also you can customize the excerpt size at each individual post type or categories.
For example, you can set different excerpt size for each pages. For blog page excerpt the size is 100 character, front page excerpt the size is 50 and the archive page excerpt the size is 200. So you can set the advanced settings like image below:
Why the “Read More” isn’t showing at all?
WordPress is the most popular CMS. It brings consequence that so many people develop WordPress themes. Sadly, some of the developers don’t write WordPress theme code in a standard mode. Some themes totally ignore the perfectly working WordPress auto-excerpt and create their own function in generating exceprt. When themes do this, the ECAE plugin is ignored as the theme no longer calls the standard WordPress excerpt functions (which ECAE plugin is hooked into). Other than making modifications to your theme, there’s nothing any plugin can do when themes don’t use the WordPress hooks and hard-code new functionality instead.
How to solve?
Find function that responsible displaying excerpt, then replace with the_content().